Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Introduction: So... what is my goal?

Soooooo... sustainable living. What is it? is it a lifestyle, a project, a casual thought? what does it mean exactly to be living sustainably? For me living sustainably is something I've always wanted to do, but never had the patience nor will to fully live it out. Sure I had the Klean Kanteen and used the recycled notebook paper, but I also would sometimes buy a bottle of water or casually through a can into the waste receptacle instead of the recycle bin. In the bathroom I also chose to use paper towels to dry my hands instead of the air dryer. With each decision though came a little bit of guilt. Am I a jerk for contributing to the destruction of our planet? But then I look around and virtually everyone else is doing just as bad as me and it seems ok.
But this sustainability thing doesn't start with everyone, it starts on an individual level. I cant directly control others, but i sure as hell can control myself. If I want a healthier world for future generations, I need to start being the kid who "go's green" and not just one of the many who don't really care.
However it is difficult to go green. We live in a society today where we throw everything away. We throw away the plates we eat our food on, the utensils we eat our food with, and the napkins we use to clean. We throw away plastic bottles, litter our trash, and subsidize resources so cheap that we are completely unaware of their true costs.
So what can one do to go green? Motivate. Grab a group of friends or join a club devoted to the environment. Ask yourself every time if you are being wasteful and if their is an alternative. Recycle. Reuse. Reduce.
But this is all easy to say. For this class I have a personal goal of not only changing my ways today, but to remain sustainable for the rest of my life. After all, a dead planet is no fun anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment